You’re now viewing the Blood Donor website. Visit:
- Why donate blood
- Who can give
- Am I eligible to donate blood?
- When can I donate next?
- Donating after travelling
- Donating as a group
- How else can I help?
- FAQs - who can give
- I'm ready to donate
- About blood
- Contact Us
Who can give
- Australia has one of the safest blood supply systems in the world.
- You can donate whole blood every 12 weeks.
- O negative blood is universal and can be given to anyone.
- Plasma and platelet donations can be made every 2 weeks.
- Every whole blood donation can save 3 lives.
- 1 in 3 people will need blood. Only 1 in 30 gives blood.
- Australia needs over 27,000 blood donations every week.
- 470mL of blood is collected when you give whole blood.
- Within 24-48 hours of giving blood, your blood volume is completely restored.
- Giving blood only takes about an hour.
- Plasma donations can be used to make 18 different products.
- Red blood cells have a shelf life of 42 days.
- 34% of donated blood goes towards helping cancer patients.
- You can start giving blood at 16.
- The blood service has been collecting blood for over 80 years.
- You can donate double platelets – helping twice as many people.
- Platelets have a shelf life of only 5 days.
Welcome to Red25
Red25 is a unique giving program uniting with groups and organisations around Australia to save lives through blood donation. We’re on a mission to save lives; to achieve 25% of all blood donations needed in this country.
Unite to save lives
When we donate together, we can achieve so much more for the 1 in 3 Australians that will need blood in their lifetime.
For your organisation, it means...
A lifesaving social responsibility program that everyone’s proud to be part of. A donation more powerful than money. Because saving a life is something you can’t put a price on.
We’ll be there to support your involvement in Red25, support your champions, track your donations and celebrate your contributions.
So rally your team and join the Red25 movement.
How it works
Your people will get behind Red25 if they know you are. So support your people with time to give blood and make blood donation a part of your organisation’s activity calendar.
- Choose a Red25 coordinator
Your Red25 coordinator is your group’s champion for blood donation. They’re the promoter, the organiser and the main contact.
- Register your group
Do this online or by calling Red25 on 1300 886 524.
- People join the group to become members
Once your group is registered, anyone who wants to can join it to have their blood donations go towards your group tally. They’ll need a Donor ID number to join, so if they’re not already a blood donor they can call 13 14 95 to sign up as a donor and get one.
- Start donating
We’ll give your coordinator tools to start recruiting donors and getting others excited about blood donation.
Once people have joined your group, every donation they make, whether by themselves or with other group members, counts towards your tally.
Donate separately, unite to save lives
Your Red25 members don’t need to donate at the same time as others to contribute to your overall tally. Every time members give blood it's automatically counted towards the tally.
However, if you do want to make a joint blood donation appointment, you can call 1300 886 524.
Why the change from Club Red?
Red25 has a clear and concise mission – to achieve 25% of Australia’s blood donations. We believe it’s important to be transparent about the significant role organisations, schools and community groups play in supporting the future of Australia's blood supply.
To our members and supporters who have helped grow the Blood Service’s group blood donation program over the years, a sincere thank you. We look forward to achieving the Red25 mission together.
We’d love to hear from you
For more information on Red25 and how to get the most out of it for your organisation or group, please call 1300 886 524 or leave your details here.