You’re now viewing the Blood Donor website. Visit:
- Why donate blood
- Who can give
- Am I eligible to donate blood?
- When can I donate next?
- Donating after travelling
- Donating as a group
- How else can I help?
- FAQs - who can give
- I'm ready to donate
- About blood
- Contact Us
Who can give
- Australia has one of the safest blood supply systems in the world.
- You can donate whole blood every 12 weeks.
- O negative blood is universal and can be given to anyone.
- Plasma and platelet donations can be made every 2 weeks.
- Every whole blood donation can save 3 lives.
- 1 in 3 people will need blood. Only 1 in 30 gives blood.
- Australia needs over 27,000 blood donations every week.
- 470mL of blood is collected when you give whole blood.
- Within 24-48 hours of giving blood, your blood volume is completely restored.
- Giving blood only takes about an hour.
- Plasma donations can be used to make 17 different products.
- Red blood cells have a shelf life of 42 days.
- 34% of donated blood goes towards helping cancer patients.
- You can start giving blood at 16.
- The blood service has been collecting blood for over 80 years.
- You can donate double platelets – helping twice as many people.
- Platelets have a shelf life of only 5 days.
If you are currrently unable to give blood there are plenty of other ways you can help us
Ask friends and family to donate blood
Less than 3% of all Australians actually donate blood, whereas 1 in 3 of us will need blood or a blood treatment at some time during our lives.
Organise a group to donate blood
Why not coordinate a group donation for your business, local sporting or community service club? You can find all the details in our Club Red section, or you can call us on 13 14 95 to discuss group donation options.
Spread the word
Help the Red Cross
Come back and see us soon
There are many factors that affect why you may be unable to give blood, many of which are temporary. Donors are always required to meet patients needs, so if your deferral is temporary we hope you'll come back and donate when your rain check period is over.