You’re now viewing the Blood Donor website. Visit:
- Why donate blood
- Who can give
- Am I eligible to donate blood?
- When can I donate next?
- Donating after travelling
- Donating as a group
- How else can I help?
- FAQs - who can give
- I'm ready to donate
- About blood
- Contact Us
Who can give
- Australia has one of the safest blood supply systems in the world.
- You can donate whole blood every 12 weeks.
- O negative blood is universal and can be given to anyone.
- Plasma and platelet donations can be made every 2 weeks.
- Every whole blood donation can save 3 lives.
- 1 in 3 people will need blood. Only 1 in 30 gives blood.
- Australia needs over 27,000 blood donations every week.
- 470mL of blood is collected when you give whole blood.
- Within 24-48 hours of giving blood, your blood volume is completely restored.
- Giving blood only takes about an hour.
- Plasma donations can be used to make 18 different products.
- Red blood cells have a shelf life of 42 days.
- 34% of donated blood goes towards helping cancer patients.
- You can start giving blood at 16.
- The blood service has been collecting blood for over 80 years.
- You can donate double platelets – helping twice as many people.
- Platelets have a shelf life of only 5 days.
If you are already a Club Red member or want to get involved, take a look through this section, or contact us for more information.
What is the Club Red blood donation program?
Club Red provides an opportunity for organisations and groups across Australia to get together and do something special by regularly donating blood. Any business, community or youth group can donate as part of Club Red.
If one single donation can save three lives, imagine how many more could be saved if your group donated together.
Follow these simple steps to set up your own Club Red group:
1. Select a Club Red coordinator
This can be anyone in your group who is enthusiastic enough to encourage others to donate blood. The coordinator could be an existing donor or someone who is unable to give blood, but is passionate about the cause. To help, we have information on the donation process, eligibility criteria and promotional materials. Our Club Red teams are on hand to help with any questions.
2. Donate together
You can make a group appointment by calling 13 95 96.
3. Register for Club Red
Register your group for Club Red, encourage your group to donate and see the number of lives you save. Even if individuals donate separately, donations still count towards your group's total.
You can see your donation tally and the number of lives your group has saved. What a great motivator for your group to donate blood!
Simply register your group online, then encourage donors to join Club Red online so their donations count towards your group tally.