You’re now viewing the Blood Donor website. Visit:
- Why donate blood
- Who can give
- Am I eligible to donate blood?
- When can I donate next?
- Donating after travelling
- Donating as a group
- How else can I help?
- FAQs - who can give
- I'm ready to donate
- About blood
- Contact Us
- Australia has one of the safest blood supply systems in the world.
- You can donate whole blood every 12 weeks.
- O negative blood is universal and can be given to anyone.
- Plasma and platelet donations can be made every 2 weeks.
- Every whole blood donation can save 3 lives.
- 1 in 3 people will need blood. Only 1 in 30 gives blood.
- Australia needs over 27,000 blood donations every week.
- 470mL of blood is collected when you give whole blood.
- Within 24-48 hours of giving blood, your blood volume is completely restored.
- Giving blood only takes about an hour.
- Plasma donations can be used to make 18 different products.
- Red blood cells have a shelf life of 42 days.
- 34% of donated blood goes towards helping cancer patients.
- You can start giving blood at 16.
- The blood service has been collecting blood for over 80 years.
- You can donate double platelets – helping twice as many people.
- Platelets have a shelf life of only 5 days.
The past year has been an outstanding success for the Blood Service and it is with great pleasure that we present our Annual Report for 2012/13.
The many significant achievements we delivered as an organisation for the benefit of the Australian public are the result of detailed strategic work conducted by all staff over the past few years and we are now seeing the fruits of that labour.
Saving lives is what the Blood Service and its brigade of donors do best - and what we do every day.
Take a look at the 2011-2012 Annual Report to see what we've achieved this year.
The 2010-2011 Annual Report explains how we strive to provide the world’s safest blood supply as effectively and efficiently as possible.
The 2009-2010 Annual Report explains how the Blood Service has met demand for fresh blood products