You’re now viewing the Blood Donor website. Visit:
- Why donate blood
- Who can give
- Am I eligible to donate blood?
- When can I donate next?
- Donating after travelling
- Donating as a group
- How else can I help?
- FAQs - who can give
- I'm ready to donate
- About blood
- Contact Us
- Australia has one of the safest blood supply systems in the world.
- You can donate whole blood every 12 weeks.
- O negative blood is universal and can be given to anyone.
- Plasma and platelet donations can be made every 2 weeks.
- Every whole blood donation can save 3 lives.
- 1 in 3 people will need blood. Only 1 in 30 gives blood.
- Australia needs over 27,000 blood donations every week.
- 470mL of blood is collected when you give whole blood.
- Within 24-48 hours of giving blood, your blood volume is completely restored.
- Giving blood only takes about an hour.
- Plasma donations can be used to make 18 different products.
- Red blood cells have a shelf life of 42 days.
- 34% of donated blood goes towards helping cancer patients.
- You can start giving blood at 16.
- The blood service has been collecting blood for over 80 years.
- You can donate double platelets – helping twice as many people.
- Platelets have a shelf life of only 5 days.
Hon Dr David Hamill AM - Chairman
PhD, MA, BA (Hons), FCIT, FAIC
- Former Treasurer of Queensland
- Director, Brookfield Infrastructure Partners LP
- Chair, Gladstone Airport Corporation
- Chair, Envirogen Pty Ltd
- Chair, Ensham Workers’ Entitlements Fund Pty Ltd
- Member, the Australian Red Cross Board
- Chair, UQ College
Ms Jennifer Williams – Chief Executive
BEc, MSc, FAICD
- Chief Executive of the Blood Service
- Councillor, LaTrobe University Council
- Delegate, Goulbourn Valley Health Board
- Former, Chief Executive of Alfred Health
- Former, Chief Executive of Austin Health
- Councillor, LaTrobe University Council
- Delegate, Goulburn Valley Health Board
- Former, Commissioner, Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care
- Former, Director, Mental Health Research Institute
- 1995 Victorian Business Woman of the Year – Public Sector Category
Mr Nigel Ampherlaw
B Com, FCA, MAICD
- Director, CUA (since March 2011)
- Chair, CUA Risk Committee and Technology Committee
- Member, CUA Audit Committee and Strategy Committee
- Member Strategy Committee
- Director, Quickstep Technologies Ltd
- Director, Grameen Foundation Australia
- Former Partner of PwC for 22 years
Ms Sandy Chakravarty
CPA, MBA, MEcon, BEcon, MAICD
- Chief Financial Officer of the Australian Red Cross Society
- Head of Asia-Pacific Finance & Global Field Operations and International Controller of The Boston Consulting Group
- Vice President Asia-Pacific of Ingersoll Rand
- Finance Director of Bristol-Myers Squibb (Australia and Asia)
- Board Member of National Association of Women in Operations
- Member, Australian Institute of Company Directors
Ms Hannah Crawford
BCom, LLB, CA, FFin
- Former Director, Grant Samuel & Associates Pty Ltd
- Board Member, Alfred Health
- Former Board Member, Queen Elizabeth Centre
- Former Manager, Arthur Andersen Corporate Finance
- Former Tax Consultant, Ernst & Young
Dr David Graham
B.Pharm, FPS, Ph.D, FAICD
- Retired from the Australian Public Service most recently as the National Manager, Therapeutic Goods Administration
- Previous roles included the manager of CRS Australia, the Commonwealth Ageing and Aged Care program and the Commonwealth Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
- Currently Board member, Arthritis Australia (ACT) and of Arthritis Australia
- Adjunct professor, RMIT University
- Chair, ISO Technical Committee
Ms Kelly Jones
MBA, BSc, MACS, GAICD
- Director, Hunter Primary Care Ltd.
- Former Director and Chair, Citrus Australia
- Former Director, NICTA
- Former General Manager, Technology, NAB
- Former CIO, Deutsche Bank
- Former Managing Consultant, IBM
- Former CIO and Chief Manager, ANZ Bank
Associate Professor Larry McNicol
MBBS (Hons), FRCA, FANZCA
- Director of Anaesthesia, Austin Health
- Medical Director, Anaesthesia, Perioperative and Intensive Care Clinical Service Unit, Austin Health
- Chairman, Victorian Consultative Council for Anaesthetic Mortality and Morbidity (VCCAMM), Department of Health, Victoria
Chairman of the Mortality Subcommittee of the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists (ANZCA)
- Member of the ANZCA Quality and Safety Committee
- Member of Expert Working Group (EWG) for the National Blood Authority (NBA) Patient Blood Management (PBM) Guidelines Review
- Chairman of the Clinical Reference Group (CRG) for Critical Bleeding/Massive Transfusion and Perioperative Modules of the PBM Guidelines
Mr Ross Pinney
MBA, B Comm, FCA, FCPA, F Fin, FAICD
- Former senior executive, National Australia Bank Ltd
- Deputy President, Australian Red Cross
- Member, Finance Commission of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent
- Chair, Rural Bank Ltd
Professor John Zalcberg OAM
MB BS, PhD, FRACP, FRACMA, FAICD
- Director, Division of Cancer Medicine, Peter MacCallum Centre
- Former Chief Medical Officer and Executive Director Cancer Medicine, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
- Executive Director Cancer Medicine, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
- Chair, Australasian Gastro-Intestinal Trials Group
- Honorary Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University
- Member, Board of Cancer Trials Australia
- Honorary Associate of the Clinical Trials Centre, School of Public Health, University of Sydney
- Co-Chair of the Cancer Drugs Alliance
- Former Member. Consultative Council of the Victorian Cancer Agency
- Former Member, Board of cancer Institute NSW
- Former President, Clinical Oncological Society of Australia
- 2011 Medical Oncology Group of Australia, Cancer Achievement Award recipient
Mrs Gabrielle Hewitson - Secretary
BSc, Grad Dip Bus Admin, GAICD, ACIS, ACSA
- Australian Red Cross Blood Service Secretary
- Previous appointments in Australian Red Cross Blood Service include Assistant Board Secretary and Distribution Manager at Australian Red Cross Blood Service Victoria
- Member of Governance Institute of Australia