You’re now viewing the Blood Donor website. Visit:
- Why donate blood
- Who can give
- Am I eligible to donate blood?
- When can I donate next?
- Donating after travelling
- Donating as a group
- How else can I help?
- FAQs - who can give
- I'm ready to donate
- About blood
- Contact Us
I'm ready to donate
- Australia has one of the safest blood supply systems in the world.
- You can donate whole blood every 12 weeks.
- O negative blood is universal and can be given to anyone.
- Plasma and platelet donations can be made every 2 weeks.
- Every whole blood donation can save 3 lives.
- 1 in 3 people will need blood. Only 1 in 30 gives blood.
- Australia needs over 27,000 blood donations every week.
- 470mL of blood is collected when you give whole blood.
- Within 24-48 hours of giving blood, your blood volume is completely restored.
- Giving blood only takes about an hour.
- Plasma donations can be used to make 18 different products.
- Red blood cells have a shelf life of 42 days.
- 34% of donated blood goes towards helping cancer patients.
- You can start giving blood at 16.
- The blood service has been collecting blood for over 80 years.
- You can donate double platelets – helping twice as many people.
- Platelets have a shelf life of only 5 days.
Edward Street Donor Centre, Brisbane (temp closing from 17 Jan)
|Donor Centre||Edward Street Donor Centre, Brisbane (temp closing from 17 Jan)
Whole blood donations taken at Anzac Sq, Adelaide St from 17 Jan
|Contact Phone||13 14 95|
|Accessible by Public Transport||Bus, train (across from Central Station), free car parking available at Queens Plaza.|
Edward Street donor centre will be closed for refurbishment from 17 January.
Whole blood donations can be made at Anzac Square on Adelaide Street
Plasma and platelet donations can be made at our Chermside or Springwood Centres.
Thanks for your support during this time - we look forward to sharing our improved donor centre will you soon.
Please note: Maps are generated by Google Maps®. There may be some inaccuracies with the exact location of the donor centre.