You’re now viewing the Blood Donor website. Visit:
- Why donate blood
- Who can give
- Am I eligible to donate blood?
- When can I donate next?
- Donating after travelling
- Donating as a group
- How else can I help?
- FAQs - who can give
- I'm ready to donate
- About blood
- Contact Us
- Australia has one of the safest blood supply systems in the world.
- You can donate whole blood every 12 weeks.
- O negative blood is universal and can be given to anyone.
- Plasma and platelet donations can be made every 2 weeks.
- Every whole blood donation can save 3 lives.
- 1 in 3 people will need blood. Only 1 in 30 gives blood.
- Australia needs over 27,000 blood donations every week.
- 470mL of blood is collected when you give whole blood.
- Within 24-48 hours of giving blood, your blood volume is completely restored.
- Giving blood only takes about an hour.
- Plasma donations can be used to make 18 different products.
- Red blood cells have a shelf life of 42 days.
- 34% of donated blood goes towards helping cancer patients.
- You can start giving blood at 16.
- The blood service has been collecting blood for over 80 years.
- You can donate double platelets – helping twice as many people.
- Platelets have a shelf life of only 5 days.
National Blood Donor Week is a time for us to give a heartfelt thank you to Australia’s 530,000 voluntary donors for making such an amazing difference. Together they give more than 1.3 million blood donations every year – a milestone well worth celebrating.
Around 27,000 donations are needed each week to meet demand. Cancer patients, pregnant mums and their babies, people undergoing emergency surgery, road trauma victims and people with certain blood conditions all rely on blood products to keep them alive.
Become a blood donor - make an amazing difference
One in three Australians will need blood in their lifetime but only one in 30 actually donates.
You never know when you or someone you love will need blood, and there’s no better way to ensure it’s there than to become a donor. It only takes an hour of your time and every donation helps save three lives.
Ready to donate? Make an appointment today.
Not ready to make an appointment? Find out more below, or call us on 13 95 96.